Sunday, April 13, 2014

Jayce Roy Jensen

(Note: Brandt's comments will appear in a green throughout the post... hopefully they are not too dumb..) 
Our lives have been turned upside down in just a matter of days, but in the best way possible. Our little boy has blessed our lives beyond measure. Though we are tired and nervous that we are possibly doing something wrong, we are so so happy and smitten with our little boy (like literally, he is smiting us while we hold him).

Since he is napping, I thought I would take some time to write his birth story. Don't worry, I will try to be as censored as possible. I will start at the arrival at the hospital.

It was 6 AM. We arrived at the hospital for my scheduled induction. I was incredibly nervous and anxious about what was going to happen. I think I can say the same for Brandt, too! They let me change and get into bed and inserted my IV. And, of course, as my luck would have it, she blew right through my vein, causing a lot of pain and a gnarly bruise. Another nurse tried the other side and got it in and I was happy. What a way to start our hospital stay, right? (Liz was actually starting to go into shock after the IV didn't work the first time - lots of shaking. At this point, I'm like, "Liz is doomed.") My doctor came in and asked "Are you sure you wanna do this?" and I said "Yep! No turning back now!" She checked me and I was dilated to a 2. Her and a nurse then broke my water (which is exactly as painful as it sounds) and started me on Pitocin, a drug used to start contractions (and it tasted delicious). And boy, did they start. They were about 2 minutes apart and, in my opinion, pretty intense. For a while, I just breathed through them while laying in bed. However, after a while, I switched to an exercise ball on the side of the bed. Brandt helped me with my breathing and was being a very good coach. He even learned how to read the monitor so he could tell me when they were going down and up and what to expect. Just one of the many things he was amazing at throughout the day.

One big thing I was anxious for was for my mom to arrive. I hadn't seen her since September! I was so happy she was able to come and I was able to see her. She was so helpful throughout the entire weekend. I don't know the precise time, but her and Brandt's mom eventually showed up. When I saw my mom, I just broke down into tears. They were happy tears, of course! It isn't until you don't have your mom with you that you realize just how much you really do need her sometimes.

After some time, my contractions were becoming unbearable. The nurse came in and said "Hm...we need to increase your Pitocin and get these contractions stronger!" I was like "What?! That isn't as strong as they go?" She checked me and I was probably around a 5. I knew then that it was time for my epidural. Best. Decision. Ever. After about an hour, the anesthesiologist came in and inserted it, which was not nearly as bad as I had imagined it. The worst part was the tiny little prick of numbing medicine they put on the sight before inserting the epidural. That was seriously it! And for how much relief it provided, I would get one over and over and over and over again. I was so happy after that.

Once my epidural was in, I was able to have some nice conversation with my mom, mother in law, and Brandt. (she was a little loopy) I think I eventually fell asleep, but not for long. I was checked again, and was still dilating! It was a miracle. I didn't feel a thing, so for them to tell me that I was progressing made for one happy Liz.

At this point, it was getting kind of late and my epidural seemed to be changing. I was feeling contractions again! Not good. I was still kind of numb but was just overall feeling some discomfort. The anesthesiologist came in and inserted something into my epidural that felt so weird. (I walked into the room to Liz getting a little weepy. I was extremely glad to have the anesthesiologist help her out.) I felt a tingly sensation all the way down my back and down one leg. So weird, but it helped and took some of the edge off.

It was getting close to midnight at this point. Both soon-to-be grandmas went home at about this time. [visiting hours ended at about 8:30pm, but the hospital staff didn't say anything so they stayed :) ] I was checked again and was nearly at a 9, but had slowed down and Jayce was still very high up there. He was having trouble descending. At this point, Brandt gave me a blessing. I was so calm and relaxed after that. I knew everything was going to be okay and that our boy would be okay. My doctor came in and said I was going to start pushing to try to get him to come down. My epidural was still working but pushing was extremely painful. I knew that wasn't right. But, I pushed anyways. And pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed. For an hour and a half. Through a ton of pain. It was honestly awful. And to make matters worse, he was still not descending. At that point, I knew what was coming and my doctor confirmed it: c-section. Honestly, I felt very calm and okay with it. Brandt was also very relieved. Turns out, my body was just not meant to birth babies naturally. I am just way too small and he couldn't make it down.

This part sucked, because they obviously had to prep the c-section room, but since I wasn't supposed to be pushing anymore, I just had to breathe through contractions. It seriously sucked so much and since my epidural was wearing off, I could feel almost everything and I couldn't do anything about it. Brandt got into his super cool scrubs and he looked awesome! What a trooper. He was great through the whole process and I love him for that. He did great at keeping me calm.(They took Liz away and told me they would be back in 10 minutes. After about 25 minutes or more they finally brought me in)

Finally, they wheeled me in to the c-section room. I was getting extremely scared at this point. I have never had any type of surgery, so to go from so little to so much in one day was overwhelming to say the very least!

Now is where things get a little groggy. I will try to just explain from memory or from what I have been told by Brandt, who was there the whole time.

Only one side of me was numb by the time I got all prepped. So I could feel a LOT on my right side. Like, when I say a lot, I mean I could feel cutting. I spoke up quickly, and they got me taken care of...in that I just got gassed up REALLY well. I was really fighting the gas mask, but eventually it worked. I remember thinking "I am still alive. I am still alive. I am still alive." (Liz may not remember much here, but she was kinda conscious. I would squeeze her hand during the surgery and she would squeeze back. Luckily they had a barrier in front of me so I didn't see the surgery... I hate blood. Eventually, I heard a little baby scream! A nurse came back to me and asked me to come see him in the warmer as they cleaned him up. When I got over there, there were a couple of nurses cleaning him up. He was all blue and I didn't know if that was normal or not. I guess it wasn't because he was not making any noise and the nurses body language was not positive. I then made the mistake of looking back and seeing all of the blood while Liz was still being operated on. I now started to become a little emotionally unstable. I was scared for a second - there was blood all over my wife and my little baby was not breathing. A few tears welled up in my eyes as I prepared for the worst and hoped for the best. Then another baby cry came out and it never sounded so good. Baby Jayce had some fluid that he inhaled and they were working on getting it out of him. He was OKAY! I tried not to look back at Liz because of the blood but I knew she was going to be okay. I will always cherish the moment when my son got to hold my finger as they got him all cleaned up.)  It was extremely scary, to be honest. But, soon, I was completely out and the next thing I remember, they were holding Jayce up to my head and he was just staring into my eyes. He would not break eye contact at all, and I didn't want him to. It was as if he was looking into my eyes and trying to say "I'm so sorry you had to go through so much pain, but I am so very happy to see you!" I just lost it, or at least I did on the inside. I like to think I kept my cool. ;) (When they brought Jayce to Liz, the anesthesiologist took the gas mask off her face and kept lightly slapping her to wake her up saying "Elizabeth, Elizabeth"....)

If there are such things as out of body experiences, this was definitely one for me. I remember a lot, but at the same time, I remember nothing. Time seemed to stand still and go a thousand miles a minute. I knew where I was, but I was so lost and confused. I was feeling everything all at once. Thinking about it now brings up so many emotions. I still feel scared, for some reason. But, I know that I am safe and Jayce is safe and that it is all over!

Brandt and him got to spend the first little bit of time of Jayce's life together, and that brings me so much happiness. I am just so happy Brandt was there to keep him safe. (I'm lucky. :) I got to spend a lot of baby-daddy time with Jayce in the nursery while Liz was getting all fixed up. It was a lot of fun spending time with him while the nurses helped him get all settled into life.)

Also, during my c-section, I lost about half of my blood and for the first few days, I was considered "critical" by the doctors and extremely anemic, but I was not experiencing any symptoms or problems that were a cause for concern. They didn't feel the need to give me any blood. I guess my body was just simply rebuilding my blood on its own just fine, but it made for moving around and doing much of anything pretty difficult. My first walk from the bed to the bathroom was brutal. I felt like I had no bones in my body!

Luckily, my recovery has been going smoothly so far. I have a ton more energy and all of the swelling in my legs has gone down and I can actually move around! I have had the best help though. Brandt has been the best at helping with me and the baby. I'm so glad we've been able to spend this first week together as a family! Even if we are tired all the time!

Needless to say, if I were to have had a strict "birth plan", this would not have been it. However, I am so grateful that things turned out the way they did and that our little man is healthy and strong! Seeing him and holding him seemed to wash away any pain or discomfort or sadness I had at the time. I was so frightened that day, especially when they started wheeling me in for my c-section, but when I saw Brandt and held his hand and then I saw Jayce, everything was better. I am so happy we are all okay and I love my little family.

And now, behold! A ton of pictures.

 The room when we got there.

 Brandt took a picture of me sleeping. Not sure when this was! (There was a previous picture where Liz was posing with a thumbs up. I wanted to get a more realistic picture of what life was like for her.)
 Dr. Dad all geared up for the c-section.

 I think this picture of them holding hands is precious. 2:43 AM. (Taken right after Jayce was born)

 It's so strange. Everything before and after this moment is a complete blur, but when they held him close to my head and he stared at me, I could remember everything. It was one of the most magical moments I had ever experienced!
 Jayce hangin' out in the nursery

 Daddy and Jayce. :)

 Our first (very tired) family photo. 

 All cheeks!

 Nana's first time holding Jayce.

 Grandma's first time holding Jayce.

 Kay's first time holding Jayce.

 Grandpa's first time holding Jayce.

 GOING HOME!!!!!

 Being adorable. Currently 7 lbs. 15 ounces. He was born 21 and a half inches long but has since not been measured yet. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful story Liz! He's so handsome! It looks like you have a beautiful family. I sure would like to meet him whenever you might get back this way! Love you and miss you! You will be a great Mom...you can tell by your story! Be sure to give him lots of love and kisses!

Unknown said...

Love that you share your beautiful story with us. Sounds like you had quite the experience, but worth every minute for the gorgeous little family you now have. Wishing you all much love and happiness.