Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Story!

Hi everyone! As promised, I wanted to write a little update about our lives. Specifically about this new adventure that we are (definitely both) going through: PREGNANCY! I know that the majority of people want to know how we found out and what happened and everything, so I figured I should do an update for everyone. Here goes nothing.

I remember the last thing I felt like eating before I was sick for 3 months. It was pizza. We had just moved in to our new home in Bartlesville (Here to fore known as "B-Ville" to save some time) and the staff from Brandt's school helped us. Afterwards, we were all invited to the head director's house for some pizza. I hadn't eaten all day and it sounded heavenly! That was the last thing that sounded good for 3 months or more.

The next day I woke up and felt like I had been hit by a truck. We hadn't set up our bed yet, so we were sleeping on air mattresses. I blamed that for the cause of my awful state. But, no really, it was bad. Or, I at least remember it being that bad. It feels like forever ago!

I brushed off the feeling and tried to go about my normal routine...which was actually far from normal, considering all of our stuff was still in boxes and I was tasked to do all of the unpacking and decorating since Brandt was off getting ready for his first day of school! Luckily, I like going through stuff, even if it is my stuff, so I had some fun. After a few days, though, I was just feeling worse and worse. Constant sickness, achy body, headaches, cramps. The works. I tried to think of what could be wrong, and came to the very unlikely conclusion that the move and the stress of moving were the culprits. I had convinced myself that was it, and that I would be feeling better in no time. HA!

Fast forward about a month. Still feeling sick. And to answer your question, no. I did not take a pregnancy test. I will get to that later. School and marching band for Brandt was in full swing! I wasn't working yet, so I pretty much went to all of the activities and rehearsals so that I didn't go crazy in our house all by myself. It really did help take my mind off of how bad I was feeling. Although, bus rides and football games were not so helpful. SO MANY SMELLS. Ugh!

At this point in the story, I had finally started to consider the fact that "holy crap...I might be pregnant." However, that is about as far as I would go before I just brushed it off again as "stress" from my pretty much "not stressful" life.

In September, I flew to Arizona for my little sister's wedding. I was so excited! Brandt couldn't come, because of school. This bummed me out. I did NOT want to travel without him. But, I sucked it up and braved the airports all by myself. In the real world, I was about 12 weeks pregnant. In Liz's world, I just felt icky all the time and was in some serious denial. I said sooooo many prayers that I would not be the person to throw up into the air sickness bag. And, wouldn't you know it? I didn't! I was pretty proud of myself. There was a close call in the Houston airport during my connection, though. I won't go into the details, but I am just glad I followed my gut (pun intended) and stepped out of the checkout line momentarily before getting on the plane. Let's just stick with that.

My mommy and sister and another bridesmaid named Alicia picked me up from the airport and it was crazy from the start! Before we even went home, we had to look for shoes and jewelry and eat lunch and walk around the outdoor mall looking for other things for the wedding and look into getting my dress hemmed. All I could think about was how badly I wanted to take a nap. My mom said we were going to Chipotle for lunch. Which, if you know me, you know that is my absolute favorite place ever! However, at that moment, it just sounded awful. I braved it, though, and I am glad I did because it was BOMB. I had started noticing that food still sounded bad, but eating was wonderful. I was hopeful that this meant the end of my sickness spell and I would be all better!

During the course of my trip, I think I spent half of my time napping, for which I feel really bad about. I was just exhausted. Even the simplest task just took the life out of me. I didn't know it at the time, but this was putting up some red flags for my mother. I should have known! Luckily, she didn't say anything during the trip. I would have felt really foolish if she would have asked if I was pregnant and I just said "I don't know...I haven't taken a test." It was starting to sound really dumb, even to me.

I got home from my trip and life started back up again. I was actually starting to feel a little better, so one night I made dinner for Brandt. I made paninis. While I was slicing a tomato, I said "I'm gonna take a test, I think." He just said "Okay!" or something very chill like that. The funny thing is, we had basically come to the conclusion that I was, but had still not done anything to confirm it. Kinda silly. No matter how prepared I was for that little plus sign to show up, there is still NOTHING that can prepare you for that little plus sign to show up. All I heard was Brandt laughing at the TV (probably Family Guy) as I sat in the bathroom holding that stupid stick in my hand. Positive? But....what? I was confused. Though everything in the cosmos was pointing at the fact that I was pregnant, I still couldn't believe it. I shuffled to the top of the stairs and looked down at Brandt, who looked up at me, and I said "It says positive." His response was priceless.

"There's a baby in there???"

Yep, there was a baby in there. A pretty "big" one at that, too! I did the math faster than I had ever done math in my life. I was about 13 weeks. "Oh, crap." I realized that meant I was already out of my first trimester. That overwhelmed me. I could have been doing things to get ready for this child...but no! I was stuck in Denial Land.

(checked out of Denial Land)

Brandt and I hugged and were really excited, but you could tell we both had no clue what to do next. I was like "Um...do we tell anyone?" He said I should probably call a doctor. "Right...a doctor. I am going to need one of those." I was so lost. It was hysterical!

Flash forward to a few weeks later. I went to the doctor for my first ultrasound. What a trip! Seeing my baby doing flips and twists in my belly but not being able to feel anything was so strange. However, I immediately fell in love with our little guy. He was so precious!

(All his glory! I think he will look like Brandt because he was drinking some water and was holding it in his cheeks and the way he looked from the side looked exactly like this. Fun fact.)

Now was when we could start telling friends and everything, which was a hoot! I loved that part. Some of the reactions were priceless. I also didn't anticipate telling not one but TWO of my best friends only to find out that they, too, were expecting. Well, one was a boy and his wife was obviously the pregnant one. Lol. THAT was amazing and I had never been happier in my life!

Flash forward to now! I only have 12 weeks to go in my pregnancy and I couldn't be more excited to meet our son. He is going to be awesome, I can tell. I am also feeling anxious and nervous to not only give birth this this little guy, but just to be parents in general. I wish there was a manual I could read! Hopefully he will be understanding of his confused and flustered parents for a while. I am so grateful for Brandt and his understanding and love for me while I have probably been pretty difficult to live with. He's my rock and I love him. This kid is getting one hilarious and awesome daddy!

More updates as they happen, but to hold you over, here's another picture. :)

YAYYYY!!!!!

2 comments:

Terzy said...

This is absolutely precious... I love you guys! This little boy is the luckiest little boy in the world to be getting you and Brandt as his Mommy and and Daddy! And I envision him being quite the talented little trumpet player. :)

Terzy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.